Foliole Friends

Fuming, steaming, stimulating. A Camaraderie Cafe

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Femme "reservation" fatale

Hello everyone.

Allow me to introduce myself: My name is Jesse and I'm the newest foliole on your foliage. I am 27, have a masters degree in biotechnology, have worked as an infamous lecturer at the infamous engineering college in Tangori, have also worked in one of CSIR's well known institutes (Imtech) and have just joined the editorial office of Pearson Education.


Ashish has been my friend for a long time now, though we haven't been in regular contact. Recently I sent him message from my new cell phone number asking him to guess who it was (by giving a hint that I'm the guy who likes cycling), he recognized me instantantly...only later did he tell me that he mistakenly read the "cycling" as "crying"...and still guessed accurately who it was :-/ (didn't make a difference...this clue was as good as the original)...that embarassed me so much that I haven't cried since then.



I attended one of the meeting of the Foliole community sometime in the mid-late 2006 at 'Bakes n Beans' Sector 10, Chandigarh. That day, I met three other members of Foliole. I don't remember too much about what all was discussed, but I remember that Ashish asked us all to come up with a word (Why?? I don't remember that!)...no, I couldn't think of any, in the context that it was asked. Ashish came up with the word "perspective"...oh! it's one of the words that I love. Why? Cause over the years, my perspective of the world has become so skewed that lately I've been trying hard to correct it! This word thus holds a place of supreme importance for me.


Anyway, that evening, I was also handed over one of the previous printouts of FOLIOLE. I found one of the anecdotes in it to be extremely interesting; the one in which a burka clad lady, in one of the buses in Delhi, rightfully forced a man to get up from a seat marked "only for ladies" despite the man's best effort to resist. It reminded me of the time when I was in Delhi once ( I was 17 back then) and was rudely told to get up from my seat (it was actually the "ladies" seat). I was shocked at the treatment metted out at me...c'mon man! I wasn't even arguing, so why were these women so rude to me? I wasn't even aware that the "ladies" seat was actually meant for ladies (that's not the case in Chandigarh's buses :-( !!). Since that day, such a strong fear of the "ladies" seat has been instilled in me, that whenever I'm sitting in a local bus and see any female look my way more than once, I just gulp down that last bit of saliva and offer the seat to the lady...lest the androgen-infested lady shouts "auraton ki seat par baith-ta hai besharam!! jaanta nahi- its a woman's world!!"...you never know, maybe all the seats in the world are reserved for women.

6 Comments:

  • At 8/8/07 10:30 PM, Blogger Muskaan Kapoor said…

    Hi Jesse, its been so long since I visited our blog. One of the reasons is that the conversations of us bloggers had been consumed either by laziness or our daily engagements. But this time it looks different. There are new names and posts. I can already spot some fumes, those that required rekindling. And it seems that with your long protest post, you've done the job well . So a hearty welcome to our blog :)
    ...Muskaan

     
  • At 9/8/07 11:04 AM, Blogger Ashish said…

    Hey Muskaan: It's doubly nice to see a veteran putting a comment and welcoming a fresher :-)Hope we all are able to shake ourselves out of the merciless grip of daily engagement and laziness and resume our ... camaraderie

     
  • At 11/8/07 6:39 PM, Blogger Muskaan Kapoor said…

    I hope the same :)

     
  • At 25/8/07 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jesee... as the existence of everyone exists in the eyes of others so you can know me at confrontation as for the tag, i am labeled as Michel sub cast as Sachdeva.. glad to read your post.. as i am also a member of this blog but is unable to publish my post due to some technical problems,,, i request Ashish to remove this problem... Hello to all friends who have settled and are busty with their works like our Timsy... and moti... and the workers of Gandhian study and Ndtv hosts.....

     
  • At 30/11/07 6:53 PM, Blogger AJ said…

    guys what's dfg?

     
  • At 1/12/07 5:35 PM, Blogger admin said…

    Hey Jesse: That was nothing more than a "test" comment I guess. Nothing to be bothered about :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home